In spring 2016 I took a wonderful translation workshop taught by my old friend Jonathan Mayhew. It was a lot of fun. My French came back very quickly - a really sweet surprise. Below are some of my translations.


 


"Je rêvais de toucher" [Georges Bataille]


Je rêvais de toucher la tristesse du monde

au bord désenchanté d’un étrange marais

je rêvais d’une eau lourde où je retrouverais

les chemins égarés de ta bouche profonde


j’ai senti dans mes mains un animal immonde

échappé à la nuit d’une affreuse forêt

et je vis que c’était le mal dont tu mourais

que j’appelle en riant la tristesse du monde 


une lumière folle un éclat de tonnerre

un rire libérant ta longue nudité

une immense splendeur enfin m’illuminèrent 


et je vis ta douleur comme une charité

rayonnant dans la nuit la longue forme claire

et le cri de tombeau de ton infinité.



I Dreamed of Touching


I dreamed I was touching sadness of skies

no magic was where I was on the moor

I dreamed I had found murk-deep in water

the paths I had missed to your mouth and your eyes


Some dreadful creature ran from my hand

way off to the woods and I knew

it was that curse of ours and that it was killing you

I called our curse ‘the sky’ with one half a laugh


Two claps of light and one of thunder

sheer and crazy forms holding one another

it came to me finally, full of splendour


Your sadness was a gift to me

your nakedness a gift for me


from your tomb cries your infinity





“Soufflé” [Pierre Reverdy]


Il neige sur mon toit et sur les arbres. Le mur et le jardin sont blancs, le sentier noir et la maison s’est écroulée sans bruit. Il neige.



Breath


It snows on my roof, and on the trees. The wall and the garden are white, the path black and our home has given way with no roar no wind. Snowing. 





“Un poète” [Jules Supervielle]


Je ne vais pas toujours seul au fond de moi-même

Et j'entraîne avec moi plus d'un être vivant.

Ceux qui seront entrés dans mes froides cavernes

Sont-ils sûrs d'en sortir même pour un moment ?

J'entasse dans ma nuit, comme un vaisseau qui sombre,

Pèle-mêle, les passagers et les marins,

Et j'éteins la lumière aux yeux, dans les cabines,

Je me fais des amis des grandes profondeurs.



A Poet


I don’t always go alone toward the bottom of me,

and then I will bring a living being.

Those who enter my polar cavern

Are they safe to leave, even for a flash?

I press myself toward night, as a boat sinks,

passengers and the sailors down together,

and I blow out the light in their eyes, then in their cabins.

I fall in with profound friends.





“Les Paroles du poème” [André Frénaud]


Si mince l’anfractuosité d’où sortait la voix

si exténuant l’édifice entrevu,

si brûlants sont les monstres, terrible l’harmonie,

si lointain le parcours, si aiguë la blessure

et si gardeé la nuit.


Il faudrait qu’elles fussent justes et ambiguës,

jambs rencontrées, évidents, reconnues,

sorties du ventre, retenues, sorties,

serrées comme des grains dans la bouche d’un rat,

serrées, ordonnées comme les grains dans l’épi,

secrètes comme est l’ordre

qui font luire ensemble les armes du paradis,

les paroles du poème.



Words of the Poem


So narrow the crevice from where that voice wound,

so wiped away the building glimpsed.

On fire the monsters, in terror, harmony.

So gone the path, and grievous the wound

guarded overnight.


They had to be amorphous, ambiguous,

fair, legs lying together, rare & known again,

below tummy plumes, held by belts,

or yanked like seeds into the rat’s mouth,

or squished straight along grains of corn -

secrets are our order

that gleam together, trees of paradise

the words of the poem.





“La Création de soi” [Frenaud]


Mes bêtes de la nuit qui venaient boire à la surface,

j’en ai harponné qui fuyaient,

je les ai conduites à la maison.

Vous êtes ma chair et mon sang.

Je vous appelle par votre nom, le mien.

Je mange le miel qui fut venin.

J’en ferai commerce et discours, si je veux.

Et je sais que je n’épuiserai pas vos dons,

vermine habile à me cribler de flèches.



The creation of self


My night beasts came to the surface to drink

I harpooned the ones who jumped

and I brought them to the house.

You are my flesh and my blood.

I call you by your name: MINE.

I eat honey that was venom.

I’ll chat and do business with you, if I want.

I know I won’t exhaust your gifts,

you vermin, able to riddle us with arrows.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog